Sunday, January 17, 2010

Teens & Anger + other stuff

Teen anger management is the one tool every well to do parent will need. Ask any parent what's the hardest job about raising teens and you get several answers; but the one common theme that occurs repeatedly is that many parents will tell you that the hardest thing about raising teens is communication and how to break down the walls of ineffective communication. I feel that if you want to communicate with your teen in a way they will respond instead of the short yes and no answers a lot of parents get is to get to know your teen in a way that will encourage your teen to open up.

In a previous article I stated that parents should know their teens favorite band. Knowing your teens favorite band will give you better insight to your teen's life, thus letting you know what motivates them. There are messages in music that will tell you a load of information regarding your teen's attitude. I recently walked pass my middle teen (age 17), and I noticed she was listening to music on YouTube. As I walked by her I asked her what was the name of the band, and she told me Paramore. I have to admit that I did not know who Paramore is or what's the name of their hits, but I did a Google search on the group that night. Why? The more I know about Paramore - the more I know about my daughter. I will have opened future avenues of discussions with my daughter, and this is what communication is (equipping me with better teen anger management skills).

After doing a research on the band, I found out they are from my home state of Tennessee, some of the hits that the band has produced, but what caught my eye the most was the fact that tour dates were listed. This would be a great way to spend some time with my daughter so we can learn more about each others likes and dislikes. Learning to learn about who your teen is will give you more insight into her life. I'm looking forward to the night of the concert; I have not told her yet because I'm waiting until she is feeling a little down in the dumps before I tell her about the concert. She will love it. Teen anger management is learning to decrease the angry episodes by increasing happiness.

Another way I keep the communication flowing with my daughter is doing the one thing she loves more than any other - going to the movies. She loves scary movies, and there seems to be one coming out every weekend lately, so I know one way to get her to talk about boys, school, or any thing that pertains to her life is to take her to a good horror flick.

On the way home from a movie two weeks ago, she told me about a new guy in her life. She volunteered to tell me about why she likes him and insignificant but important facts like where he works, and the type of person he is. If I would have just out right asked her about who she's interested in without softening her up, I would have been labeled as snooping, and this could have turned into an heated argument.

If you want to communicate with your teen to the point where they will look to you for answers and guidance, you need to position yourself as a person they enjoy talking with. If they enjoy talking to you, conflicts will and can be avoided. This is what I have adopted along with other powering teen anger management techniques. Parenting has become easier, plus I have a new band that I'm starting to like. Paramore rocks!

Although it seems like you have come to a dead end regarding teen anger management, know that there is a great offer that has helped me get my other power back... This method has given me clarity over the situation. It has taught me how to remain calm and to know myself first.

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured"...Mark Twain

Marcus A. Leverett is a proud father and mentor to three lovely teenagers. He loves to read and write, is an avid cat lover, and a devoted Tennessee Titan fan.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Marcus_A._Leverett


-------------------------------------------------------------------
Who's in 'kidulthood'? Me! Well, if you're wondering what a kidulthood is, it's another term for teenagers as I understand it. Kidulthood is actually the title of a movie involving a group of teenagers and from how I see it, us teenagers are still kids, but moving into adulthood, hence, the name kidulthood.

Growing up

When you're 17, all you want to do is have fun. But, all your parents and their friends want to see is an 'adult' who can understand the world of 'adults' and they expect you to know how to use your 'common sense'. One question, how can we use our common sense when all our years in this world, we've been told what to do and what to say, and if we try to do anything different, we'll get told off? To all parents around this world, please understand, you've been through our stage in life, please give us some time to fit in your world.

Love story

When you're a teenager, that's when all the lovey-dovey stuff starts getting serious, well not that serious, but they often start thinking they're falling in love. Falling in love is beautiful, but not when it's with the wrong person. My advise, let's focus on our studies first, we're still young. Sweet talks are so easy to get, but qualifications and jobs are not. If you focus on your 'love story', you might end up forgetting your studies ad wrecking your future forever. You do not want to have to take care of a baby at a very young age. You've got so much more to look forward to. Why ruin it for someone who can't guarantee you a bright future - let alone theirs? Trust me, when you make the wrong step, you will regret it for the rest of your life. Better think twice when you're given an option.

Studies

As we get older, we get more exams and more stressed. With course works and exams, how can we organize our time to get good grades? Easy - prioritize our goals and what needs to be focused on first. Getting past exam papers would help as well, but most importantly attend your lessons. Some people think missing lessons is alright, so long as you find the time to catch up - little do they realize, that is the problem. The more lessons you miss, the more lessons you need to cover on your own, meaning less help from your teachers. So, do yourself a favor and attend! When to start? Well, we can surely start by opening a book now and revise. All the best, my fellow kidulthoods!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Nabihah_Zaid

---------------------------------------------------------------------A year or so ago, I stumbled upon a series of PBS (Public Broadcasting Network) videos online that revealed how many kids are creating for themselves a totally different social identity online. Via the Internet they are able to escape their own seemingly (to them) boring lives and become someone they are not, but maybe they think that they want to be.

Whether it be a character on Second Life, creating an actual sex website that they get paid for, or they become known for their personality and charm that they may not show to those in real life. It is truly shocking what kids are able to do online that they might not ever do in real life.

The stories played out on these videos were stories of real kids who had gotten caught up in the web of the Internet and become someone else. In most cases, their parents were not aware of this at all, and in some cases the consequences once they were discovered were quite harsh.

Some of the things that kids can get involved with online are harmless, however do you know what "image' your child is creating for him or herself online. If you haven't taken into account what they are doing online and if you've never checked it out for yourself I'd urge you to start. While some kids merely use their online world as a place to be someone they aren't in real life, others use it to boost their popularity offline. Taking semi-nude or nude pictures of themselves and displaying them online or sharing information about what they participate in, the possibilities are much scarier than you might guess.

As a former youth minister who has had much experience with teens I urge you to get involved. Don't be afraid to ask your kids questions about their online activity. Always have access to their computer even if they have personal laptop or desktop PC. Always know their logins and passwords and be aware of where they "hang out" online. Don't let technology scare you or get the best of you even if you aren't tech savvy. If kids can do it so can you so don't let that stop you from protecting your kid. Whatever you do start today being proactive about the image your kid is creating for him or herself online.

Alyssa Avant is the founder and creator of Pro-tech the Kids.com. She created this site to help educate parents about the dangers of the internet and other technology and how they can be proactive about protecting their tech generation kids. Visit the site at http://pro-techthekids.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Alyssa_Avant

No comments:

Post a Comment